Justin R. Bonanno is a Partner in MSF’s Commercial Litigation practice. His practice focuses on commercial litigation involving cooperatives, condominiums, contracts, partnerships, limited liability companies, corporate governance, securities and business torts, with an emphasis on real estate related disputes. Typical matters involve conflicts over shareholder rights, construction defects, and partnership dissolutions.
Mr. Bonanno views real estate litigation through a business lens. He understands the financial, operational, and legal ramifications for all parties involved: sponsors, developers, brokers, commercial landlords and tenants, and condominium and cooperative boards. With his clients’ business goals top-of-mind, he devises the best path forward – litigation or an out-of-court resolution.
Mr. Bonanno advises developers, high-net-worth individuals, and families in disputes involving significant residential and commercial real estate holdings. He provides clients with objective, reasoned legal and business advice and judgment, unclouded by the emotions that are bound to arise between dissenting partners or family members.
JD, Brooklyn Law School
BA, Manhattan College
U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
- Represented numerous New York City cooperative and condominium boards and shareholders in disputes involving construction defects, renovations, access, shareholder rights, board discretion and objectionable conduct.
- Secured dismissal of petition brought by managing member seeking judicial dissolution of LLC in order to sell LLC’s sole asset, a 5-story residential building in Chelsea.
- Successfully defended multiple sponsors in litigations brought by condominium boards alleging various construction defects and departures from the offering plan.
- Defeated motion for summary judgment brought by well-known New York City real estate brokerage firm in an action against sponsor of a luxury condominium in Manhattan seeking commissions on sale of apartment.
- Obtained summary judgment dismissing action seeking to overturn sale of Times Square hotel in which the court held that the transaction, structured through a contribution agreement to defer taxes, constituted a “sale” and did not require plaintiff’s consent to assign the basement lease.
- Litigated and negotiated settlement of multiple special proceedings brought on behalf of various developers to secure statutory licenses to access adjacent property to implement site safety plans or to make repairs.
- Defended a major New York City law firm in a legal malpractice action arising from alleged advice given in connection with a proceeding before the NASD (now FINRA).
- Represented minority members/partners against managing members/general partners in actions involving mismanagement, self-dealing, and oppressive acts.
- Defended multiple real estate developers in foreclosure proceedings.
- Represented creditors in judgment collection efforts and bankruptcy.
Member, New York State Bar Association.