Henry E. Mazurek is a distinguished trial and appellate lawyer. Mr. Mazurek has more than twenty years of experience in the areas of criminal defense and regulatory enforcement proceedings. He has served as lead trial counsel in dozens of criminal cases in federal and state courts nationwide, and achieved acquittals for clients facing charges ranging from federal money laundering and mail fraud to narcotics conspiracy and RICO homicide. Recently, Henry obtained a jury trial acquittal in federal district court in New Jersey on behalf of a client charged with multiple federal kidnappings in a ground-breaking litigation involving the prosecution of orthodox Jewish rabbis and their supporters related to the carrying out of religious court edicts.
Henry’s clients have included executive officers of both public and private companies, local government officials and political consultants, managing members of financial service companies, and medical doctors and attorneys charged with federaland state crimes.
Henry also has represented clients in the antiquities and art markets, who contested forfeiture and enforcement actions brought by U.S. Customs. He also has successfully represented individuals who were criminally charged with violations of the federal Customs laws relating to the smuggling of antiquities, and prevented charges from being filed for multiple individual clients and entities.
Henry received his law degree from Harvard Law School in 1993. He graduated summa cum laude from Georgetown University in 1990 with a Bachelor of Science degree in Business Administration.
Henry is a member of the New York, New Jersey, California, and Washington D.C. bars.
Henry began his legal career as law clerk to the Honorable Franklin S. Van Antwerpen of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania. He then served as a federal public defender in San Diego, California. Prior to opening his own law firm, Henry practiced in the white-collar criminal defense group of Kramer Levin Naftalis & Frankel LLP. He also was a law partner at the Law Offices of Gerald L. Shargel and Clayman & Rosenberg LLP in New York City.
- Represented CEO of one of largest national private companies in antiquities smuggling investigation by Department of Justice; convinced government of no criminal culpability;
- Represented top official in New York City Mayor’s Office in investigation by United States Attorney’s Office and Manhattan District Attorney’s Office; convinced both sets of prosecutors of no criminal culpability;
- Represented senior staff in leading U.S. national auction house in antiquities smuggling investigation by Manhattan District Attorney’s Office; convinced prosecutors of no criminal culpability;
- Represented N.Y.P.D. Officer in federal corruption indictment in Southern District of New York; obtained no jail sentence;
- Represented public officer in insider trading indictment in federal court in Southern District of New York; obtained no jail sentence;
- Represented public official indicted in federal court with election fraud in Southern District of New York; obtained acquittal at jury trial of all fraud charges;
- Represented tax attorney in largest tax shelter indictment ever brought in federal court in Southern District of New York; obtained mixed verdict after jury trial, including majority counts of acquittal;
- Represented medical doctor at trial in federal court in Southern District of New York charged with unlawful opioid prescriptions;
- Represented employee of jewelry/watch business indicted with money laundering in federal court in Southern District of New York;
- Represented alleged organized crime member in RICO murder trial in federal court in Eastern District of New York; obtained acquittal at jury trial of all murder counts; individual charged in antiquities importation case involving Egyptian artifacts;
- Represented major antiquities dealer, who was indicted on multiple felony charges in federal court in Eastern District of New York, on charges of antiquities smuggling; convinced government to reduce charges to misdemeanor with minor financial penalty;
- Represented Chief Executive Officer of major New York City retail business on felony bank fraud charges; jury trial resulted in hung jury on all bank fraud charges;
- Represented co-owner of international chemical resale business in excise tax fraud case in federal court in Eastern District of New York;
- Represented former United Nations official on appeal before United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit on charges of wire fraud, honest services fraud, government theft and bribery;
- Represented individual in New York State investigation of mortgage fraud and tax violations related to multi-million-dollar sales-leaseback transactions; convinced government not to bring criminal charges;
- Represented individual in alleged several million-dollar mortgage fraud Indictment in in the United States District Court for the District of New Jersey; obtained no jail sentence;
- Jointly represented Texas oil company owner in fraud trial in Southern District of New York related to corruption in United Nations Oil-for-Food Program established under Iraqi sanctions regime;
- Represented individual in Southern District of New York Indictment charging violations of federal securities laws related to private placements and initial public offerings of NASDAQ stocks;
- Represented individual in Southern District of New York indictment charging violations of misappropriation of corporate funds;
- Jointly represented lawyer investigated by U.S. Attorney’s Office for Southern District of New York on violations of tax fraud relating to the issuance of tax opinion letters;
- Represented individual in New York State prosecution involving allegations of mutual fund trading fraud;
- Successfully litigated issue of unlawful application of New York State criminal restitution law and obtained reversal of trial judgment in New York Court of Appeals.