Evan L. Lipton is an accomplished trial lawyer who represents individuals in a wide array of criminal matters. Evan has defended his clients in matters involving all aspects of federal and state criminal law, including allegations of securities fraud, construction fraud, health care fraud, bribery, political corruption, sexual assault, narcotics distribution, weapons possession, money laundering, and murder. Evan’s cases have been profiled in national newspapers and magazines, and he has appeared on Dateline NBC and 48 Hours.
His recent notable representations include obtaining an acquittal for a prominent dentist charged with murder; serving as trial counsel (along with Henry Mazurek) for a former hedge fund manager accused of bribery, resulting in a hung jury; representing an individual charged in one of the largest municipal fraud cases ever brought in New York City; and negotiating a successful outcome for an individual charged with extorting a high-profile television personality.
Evan received his J.D. in 2005 from Brooklyn Law School, where he was an Edward V. Sparer public interest fellow, a Carswell Merit Scholar, and was awarded the Robert A. Morse memorial prize. He graduated from Vassar College in 1999.
Evan spent more than a decade working alongside prominent New York City defense attorney, Gerald Shargel where he was involved in several high-profile trials and investigations. Most recently, Evan practiced in the white collar criminal defense group at Winston & Strawn LLP. Before attending law school, Evan was an investigator for the New York City Civilian Complaint Review Board, where he investigated allegations of misconduct against members of the New York City Police Department.
United States v. Murray Huberfeld et ano
- Represented former hedge fund manager charged with facilitating payment of a bribe to the head of a municipal labor union. Trial resulted in deadlocked jury on all charges.
- NY Times 10/30/2017
- NY Times 11/02/2017
- NY Times 11/16/2017
People v. Gilberto Nunez
- Kingston, New York dentist acquitted of plot to kill his lover’s husband.
- Dateline NBC
- New Yorker
- Daily Freeman
United States v. Malcolm Smith
- New York State Senator charged with conspiracy to bribe a Republican Party official in connection with the New York City mayoral primary.
- NY Daily News
People v. Morgan Gliedman
- Young woman charged with possession of an explosive device following police raid of apartment shared with her boyfriend, sentenced to probation.
- NY Post
- NY Times
- NY Magazine
People v. Joel Halderman
- TV producer charged with extorting $2 million from David Letterman sentenced to short jail sentence.
- NY Times 10/08/2009
- NY Times 03/10/2010
- NY Daily News
United States v. Robert Simels
- Attorney charged with witness tampering.
- New York Law Journal
Other notable representations:
- Physician charged with federal multi-million dollar health care fraud sentenced to probation.
- Construction company owner federally charged with union bribery acquitted at trial.
- Construction company owner accused of union bribery sentenced to probation.
- No criminal charges filed against president of arts charity who was subject of New York State Attorney General’s office investigation involving allegations of misappropriation of money and property.
- Misdemeanor disposition for individual charged in a federal cocaine distribution case.
- Case dismissed against individual charged with first degree rape in New York County.
- Acquittal on federal charge of interference with a flight crew.