Mr. Ostrow provides counsel to clients with all aspects of their patent needs, including prosecution, litigation and strategic counseling. Mr. Ostrow stands apart in his creative approach to helping clients, whether for maximizing existing assets, identifying new opportunities or managing risk. Mr. Ostrow's patent practice focuses on software, telecommunications, and networks, including web technologies, online advertising, interactive television, analytics, and financial products and services. His experience as a software engineer gives him extensive knowledge of algorithms, computer architecture, databases, and various programming languages.
Mr. Ostrow assists clients in developing intellectual property portfolios through prosecution and acquisitions, and with monetizing those portfolios using a variety of strategies including litigation, licensing, and sales. He has litigated patent cases all over the country, including in the patent heavy jurisdictions of Eastern Texas, Eastern Virginia, and Delaware.
Mr. Ostrow has extensive experience with complex business arrangements including drafting and negotiating patent licenses and development agreements in cutting-edge technology areas. He prides himself on having negotiated dozens of settlement and license agreements with very favorable terms for his clients.
Just a few of Mr. Ostrow’s representative litigation matters are:
- comScore, Inc. v. Moat, Inc., Case No. 2:12-00351 (E.D. Va.)
- Advanced Media Networks LLC v. Gogo LLC et al., Case No. 2:11-10474 (C.D. Ca.)
- Viber Media, Inc. v. Rates Technology, Inc., Case No. 1:13-00953 (S.D.N.Y.)
- Datatreasury Corporation v. Wells Fargo & Company et al., Case No. 2:06-72 (E.D. Tx.)
- Aprisma Management Techs., Inc. v. Micromuse Inc., Case No. 02-559-B (D. N.H.)
- Droplets, Inc. v. Adobe Systems Incorporated, et al., Case No. 2-06-307 (E.D. Tx.)
- Micromuse Inc. v. Agilent Technologies, Inc., Case No. 1:05-00893 (S.D.N.Y.)
- NetRatings, Inc. v. Omniture, Inc., Case No. 05-313 (D. Del.)
- WebSideStory, Inc., v. NetRatings, Inc., Case No. 06-408 (S.D.Ca.)
Mr. Ostrow’s technical expertise includes the following:
- Software including applications, databases, analytics, and operating systems
- Internet and web functionality including algorithmic search, advertising, and Internet protocols
- Network architectures including optical fiber, WiFi and cellular communications
- Telephony and VOIP
- Video distribution including VOD systems and electronic program guides
- Financial and insurance products (e.g., annuities, retirement investments)
Mr. Ostrow regularly writes on topics relating to patent law and litigation, particularly as they affect software, business methods, and the Internet. He is a frequent lecturer at major national legal and business conferences. He is co-author of the treatise "Intellectual Property Licensing: Forms and Analysis" and contributed significantly to the book, Emerging Technologies and the Law: Forms & Analysis.