David Ross is a partner in Meister Seelig & Fein LLP’’s litigation department where he focuses on complex commercial litigation before state courts, federal courts and arbitration panels throughout the country. During his career, Mr. Ross has been involved in prosecuting and defending claims for breach of contract, theft of trade secrets, non-compete claims, commercial real estate disputes, patent law, domain name theft, securities fraud, employment law claims and many other causes of action on behalf of publicly traded REIT’’s, health care companies, nutritional companies, book publishers, a popular internet travel services company, a worldwide manufacturer of commercial/consumer appliances, a Member of the Forbes 400 and closely-held real estate corporations. In addition to trials, Mr. Ross has extensive experience in arbitration hearings, injunctions, and other pre-judgment remedy evidentiary hearings
Recent successful litigation includes:
- Obtaining a $100,000,000 verdict --- the full amount sought ---- in an eminent domain case on behalf of a publicly traded REIT in Gyrodyne Company of America, Inc. v. The State of New York, 957 N.Y.S.2d 636 (N.Y. Ct. Cl. 2010). This verdict was later unanimously affirmed on appeal and with accrued interest, resulted in a final judgment of approximately $167,000,000. This award also directly led to an increase in the company's stock by more than 300%.
- Obtaining summary judgment on behalf of a real estate private equity bank in the amount of approximately $6,000,000 against one of the largest “clothing labels” in the world;
- Million dollar arbitration awards and settlements on behalf of a major health care company and book publisher;
- Securing complete dismissal of trade secret, copyright, and civil RICO claims in California Federal District Court on behalf of a publicly traded nutritional company;
- Obtaining summary judgment in the amount of approximately $5,500,000 on behalf of a warehouse lender that obtained commercial paper via a complex --- and questioned --- securitization process in the Eastern District of Pennsylvania; and
- Settling a product liability matter in New York Federal Court for “nuisance value” after making a motion for summary judgment under the Daubert standard.
Mr. Ross has been named a Super Lawyer® Rising Star in the area of Business Litigation for the New York Mertropolitan Area. Prior to joining Meister Seelig & Fein, Mr. Ross was Counsel at the law firm of Robinson & Cole LLP. Mr. Ross is also an active member of the Pro Bono Veterans Consortium where he represents injured war veterans that have been denied post-service benefits by the Federal Government. Mr. Ross has also lectured CLE courses in the areas of the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure and Eminent Domain.
Mr. Ross is admitted to practice in the State of New York and the federal district courts in the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York. Mr. Ross’s NBA dream ended as a Ball Boy for the New Jersey Nets while in High School, where he was lucky enough to get tips from the late, great Drazen Petrovic. He lives in Manhattan with his wife, Jennifer.