Antonio Papageorgiou is a registered patent attorney who advises clients in all aspects of intellectual property law, including patent and trademark application preparation and prosecution, enforcement, and defense, in a broad range of technology, including computers and electronics, software and business methods, and medical devices. Mr. Papageorgiou has participated in numerous administrative and judicial proceedings, including inter partes reviews, reexaminations, and several proceedings before U.S. District Courts and the Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit.
Before joining Meister Seelig & Fein, Antonio was a partner at Ostrow Kaufman LLP where he managed the firm's patent and trademark prosecution practice. Prior to that Antonio was in-house patent counsel for Cantor Fitzgerald L.P. where he evaluated Cantor's portfolio of issued patents and patent applications for potential licensing value, technical merit, and patentability/validity. He also established a cost effective patent strategy that resulted in a substantial increase in the number of patent applications filed and more importantly in the number of patents granted. At Cantor, Antonio worked on patent applications directed at some of the firm's "key" technologies, which included appealing a number of patent applications to the Patent Trial and Appeals Board. He also prepared and negotiated various types of agreements, including software and IP licenses, he performed due diligence on various corporate and IP acquisitions, and he advised executives on patent litigation issues, including issues in a case appealed to the Federal Circuit.
Prior to his in-house experience, Antonio was an associate at the prominent New York law firms Frommer Lawrence & Haug, LLP and Brown Raysman Millstein Felder & Steiner, LLP, where he prepared validity, infringement, and right to use opinions, and where he participated in matters relating to patents in the software, business method, electrical, and mechanical arts.
Before becoming an attorney, Antonio was an engineer for the Federal Aviation Administration where he designed and supervised installation of systems and facilities that supported air traffic control, including UHF, VHF, and microwave communication systems, instrument and visual landing systems, RADAR systems, middle and outer markers, approach lighting, and facility power and mechanical systems.
Representative cases include:
- In Re Three-Dimensional Media, No. 11-1055 (Fed. Cir. 2011) – represented Patent Owner in an appeal from the final decision by the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office in a reexamination proceeding initiated by a defendant in a then pending patent infringement action.
- eSpeed, Inc. V Brokertec USA, LLC (Fed. Cir. 2006; SDTX 2004)) – represented the plaintiff in a patent infringement action alleging infringement of the company’s patents relating to securities trading technology.
- Koninklijke Philips N.V. et al v. YiFang USA, Inc. (D. Del 2015) – represented defendant against allegations of infringement of patents relating to tablet and smart phone touch screen technology.
- YETI Coolers, LLC v. Kaiser Group Inc. (WDTX) – represented defendants in an action alleging infringement of trade dress in insulated drink ware.
- Tissue Anchor Innovations LLC v. ASTORA Women's Health, LLC (EDVA) – represented plaintiffs for infringement of patents relating to tissue anchor technology.
- Magnacross LLC v. Yifang USA Inc. d/b/a (EDTX 2015); Red Anvil LLC v. Yifang USA Inc. d/b/a (EDTX 2015); MLR, LLC v. Yifang USA, Inc. (EDVA 2015); and Long Corner Consumer Electronics LLC v. Yifang USA Inc. (EDTX 2014) – represented defendant in patent infringement actions alleged by Non-Practicing Entities (NPEs).
- Createthe Group, Inc. v. GeoTag, Inc. (SDNY 2013); Geotag, Inc. v. Burberry Limited et al. (EDTX 2012, EDNY 2012) – represented defendants in patent infringement actions and plaintiff in a declaratory judgment action against NPE.
- comScore, Inc. v. Moat, Inc. et al. (EDVA 2012) – represented plaintiff in patent infringement action for technology relating Internet advertising.
- Intregen Holdings PTE LTD v. GO800, LLC et al (SDNY 2011) – represented plaintiff in an action alleging theft of trade secrets and infringement of patents related to click-to-call and text-to-call technology.
- VIASAT, Inc. v. Advanced Media Networks, LLC (IPR2016-00628, IPR2016-00629, IPR2016-00795 and IPR2016-00796); T-Mobile US, Inc et al. v. Advanced Media Networks, LLC (IPR2016-00347 and IPR2016-00349) – represented patent owner with regard to patents relating to telecommunications technology.